March 14, 2012. The Newburgh Preservation Association today announced its plans to re-launch Alexander Jackson Davis's historic 1835 American Reformed Church as The Newburgh Lyceum at the Dutch Reformed Church.
The move comes as part of a broader effort by the group to stabilize, restore and rededicate the landmark building as the heart of the City of Newburgh's public square, past and future.
In January, Newburgh's City Council approved an amended agreement with NPA. allowing the group to take the lead in making capital improvements to the DRC, including stabilizing the building's ceiling, damaged over the winter.
Guiding this transformation under NPA will be its Dutch Reformed Church Restoration Committee, led by its new chairperson and NPA Vice President Giovanni Palladino, a Newburgh native and architect, and the following members: Kevin Burke, Deirdre Glenn, Gary Gogerty, Virginia Kasinki, Barry Schuyler, Millie Starin.
In addition to stabilizing the DRC structure, the DRCRC this summer will launch a series of public gardens around the base of the building to reinforce the Lyceum's ties to the people of Newburgh and its core sustainability goals.
The Committee also plans to invigorate its fundraising efforts in 2012, including raising awareness of the DRC's central place in national and world architectural history and fostering ties between N.P.A. and the wider preservation movement.
View complete press release.
Mid-Hudson News - March 20. 2012
Newburgh Circle - March 19, 2012